Thursday, May 21, 2009

CEC Standard 1: Foundations - Behind the Smiles and the Laughter

Born and raised in Manila, Philippines on September 25, 1986 from a middle-class family, I grew up with a family of five, including my parents and two younger sisters. My father had been living and working on Guam since I was born as a Certified Public Accountant, while my mother stayed with us in Manila working in sales at a boutique at the airport. Before the age of one, I became orthopedically impaired with my right arm due to an accident. The nerves from my right shoulder down to the right side of my back were shut down limiting the use of my arm. I have never felt like every normal kid growing up, as I was hindered to participate in sports and many other activities I had ambitioned to do such as dancing and martial arts. I have always thought that I would have been a great dancer if not for my impairment. There were many incidence, where my impairment had caused me embarrassment and very low self-esteem from unpleasant remarks and actions by ignorant people. However, it didn't destroy me but made me even more determined to strive for success. Thinking that when I encounter them again, I can reminisce and have the courage to face them with no shame. For the 22 years I had been living with this challenge, I have learned to cope and deal. To build up my confidence, I concentrated on portraying myself to the public as impressive as I can by dressing up well and showing a friendly demeanor. By wearing this attitude, I met great friends and acquaintances and my disability remained incognito. I continue to strive for success and consider my impairment as something special I possess that no one else can claim. It's made me remain grounded and proud at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment