Thursday, May 21, 2009

CEC Standard 1: Foundations - The Student

I graduated from Simon Sanchez High School on the summer of 2005 and began my first semester in college immediately after on the Fall of the same year. Initially, I wanted to pursue Architecture or Interior Designing in Manila, but my parents were skeptical of sending me back by myself in the city and eventually disapproved. Left with no alternative but to stay on the island and attend the University of Guam, I went with my second option as my career choice-Education. Since I started my first semester in college, I had been declared as a Secondary Education major with minor in English. I finished my General Education requirements after two years while taking introductory courses to Education. Amongst these courses were Introduction to Special Education and its practicum. Having been educated in a private school while living in Manila despite having an orthopedic impairment, I never received any kind of assistance for my education, hence, I grew up without much knowledge about Special Education. Things took a 180-degree turn after completing these courses, when an epiphany occur to me-Special Education was my calling. Since then, I changed my major from Secondary Education to Special Education and continued to pursue my degree. I am now going to student-teach on Fall of 2009, and I am overwhelmed with the feeling of anxiety and excitement at the same time. However, I don't think that my education will stop here. I still want to continue on and pursue a Master's Degree and fulfill my dreams of studying Interior Designing. To educate is my mission . . . to create is my passion. I am aGenT PaLm and I am full of ambitions!


Fall 2005: College Freshman



Spring 2006: Work-study Student at the School of Education



Spring 2008: ED-315 Methods of Teaching Children and Youth with Disabilities



ED-315 Practicum at Maria Ulloa Elementary School



Spring 2008: ED-343 Career Orientation/Work-study for Exceptional Individuals



Spring 2008: ED-357 Reading Methods





Summer 2008: ED-442/ED-694 G Special Education Law



Summer 2008: Awarding of Certificates for the 2008 Summer Cohort





Fall 2008: ED-314 Assessment of Skills for Children and Youth with Disabilities

No comments:

Post a Comment