Thursday, May 21, 2009

CEC Standard 1: Foundations - The Campus Suicide Prevention Program Assistant

Recently, I applied as a program assistant at the I Pinangon Campus Suicide Prevention Program at the University of Guam. I came across this job announcement when one of their program assistants visited my Abnormal Psychology class in the beginning of Spring 2009 semester. I was only taking four classes and figured I had a lot of extra time in my hands, so I decided to apply. I wanted to become more involved in campus events and build up my resume and thought that this was a perfect opportunity. I would also earn money, which I could use to support my leisure.

My background in Special Education and practicum experiences in different elementary schools, middle-schools, and high-schools helped me land the job. I was trained through the Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training or ASIST and became an official gatekeeper in February. Since I started in March 2nd, I had been involved in different events such as the National Alcohol Screening Day, Suicide Prevention Movie Night, and Staff Development Day. I have also given presentations with my partner in classroom settings to raise awareness about the suicide culture within our campus and on the island. I have met people that worked in the Department of Youth Affairs, Department of Mental Health, and PEACE. I also got the chance to meet Rear Admiral Erick Broderick, the administrator of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration on his first ever visit to Guam. Under the direction of Dr. Iain Twaddle, I Pinangon Campus Suicide Prevention Program also works collaboratively with Isa Psychological Services Center and the Violence Against Women Prevention Program.



February 21 and 22, 2009: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
Published in Pacific Daily News on March 2009.



April 11, 2009: Rear Admiral Broderick's Visit at the University of Guam

No comments:

Post a Comment